Monday, January 10, 2011

Christina Taylor Green

There is a passage from the Bilble that speaks about " a corn of wheat falling to the ground and dying". And if it dies how it will bring forth much fruit. This quote by Jesus struck me as I read more about the nine year old senselessly gunned down in Tucson this weekend. Christina Taylor Green was born on September 11, 2001. That is the day that will live in infamy as terrorist brought down the World Trade Center and killed thousands in the process. Christina was interested in politics and wanted to know more about how our government works. Christina's dad was a scout for the Los Angeles Dodgers baseball team. The fruit that will be brought forth from this horrible tragedy? It is way too early to tell. The vitriol being spewed by our politicians will more than likely subside for a minute. After our short memories reduce the impact of this weekend, it may very well be business as usual. We will go back to our polarized positions and our distrust of the fundamental motives behind them. Ideally I want my kids to grow up in a better space than I did. I want my eight year daughter to have the same inquisitive nature about life and our political system as Christina Taylor Green. I don't want her to pay for it with her own life. I hope Christina's death will not be in vain. The mere fact that it has provoked my thought process along these lines, means that it hasn't been. But there is so much more fruit that needs to be brought forth. So much more...

No comments:

Post a Comment