Monday, January 3, 2011

BLUE BENZ...

A good friend of mine passed away a couple of months ago. He was as nice a guy as you'd ever want to meet. He was particularly proud of his two grown daughters, making many a trip across country to support them in whatever ways they may have needed. I'm leaving soon on a redeye to see my son at college down south. I think about my friend who never hesitated to hop on a 5 hour plus flight. I fly all the time, way too much for my own liking. It is an occupational necessity that I could easily live without. I've had second thoughts about making this trip. It is at a time when I have a two week respite from work and travel. More importantly, I was given the dreaded "Middle Seat" on the long flight back. But I feel there is a need for me to make this trip. Call it parental intuition. Issues have arisen that I need to observe first hand, allowing me to better able evaluate and offer advice, if I am asked to. Back to my recently deceased friend, his family lives right across the street from me. His daughter is in town for the holidays and uses his car to get around. In one of those serendipitous moments, I found myself following her for a good distance, both of us headed home. It brought back memories of the good times we shared. It also reminded me of how much he loved his girls. I could only imagine the connection his daughter felt driving his car. The smells, the aura, the feeling of being close to her Father through one of  his most cherished possesions. It is a vintage Mercedes Benz, owned by him for many years. He took good care of that car, the same way he took good care of everythning else he loved. We leave this world at the appointed time. Fortunately, we leave a piece of ourselves behind, for those who cared for us most to remember us by...

No comments:

Post a Comment