Wednesday, November 10, 2010

NO OKIE DOKE

So Shiloh was about to go on a quick trip with her mom and the neighbor lady. I was given the option of keeping her at home with me, or getting some quiet time so I could do some work. It's not that I can't get work done while she is here. I spend a lot of time researching and writing, spending many hours per day on my computer. For the most part, she allows me to become somewhat immersed in what I am doing. Invariably those moments arise when she wants to get involved with my livelihood. Whatever papers are strewn about my desk suddenly become airborne, dispersed around me like the feathers in the grand finale in the movie True Romance. And then there is her love affair with the keyboard. She will shoehorn herself between my knees and the desk flap where the keyboard lay. She is ever observant, and has the general idea that while the keyboard is indeed important, it is the mouse that makes everything go. I'll lift her from the danger zone, give her a peck on the cheek, then plop her down in the midst of her assorted toys and gizmos. My concentration will be at its zenith, only to be interrupted by the sounds of one of those seldom viewed channels on TV. The ones where they give you the instructions as to how use the various functions that I never use anyway. This can only mean one thing, Shiloh is in what I have termed "Remote Control Heaven". We have tried the bait and switch manuever, giving her an old, battery free remote. She ain't falling for no okie doke, banana in the tailpipe though, recognizing right away that she has been bamboozled. It is an intersting dilemma to deal with. Even when she is  not here, and the oportunity has presented itself for me to hunker down and get some work done, I am still writing about her not being here. Thereby, not  getting any work done...

No comments:

Post a Comment