Monday, October 4, 2010

Year One

The jokes, the rolling of the eyes and just overall looks of disbelief. What misdeed has been carried out that would elicit such responses? What is it that you could be guilty of that would cause folks to stare at you with such wide eyed wonder? Confessed some heinous crime against humanity (some equate it as such), or maybe even the polar opposite extreme of having been touched by the Holy Ghost and proclaimed it my duty to preach the Gospel to the disenchanted of the World, starting with the Tea Baggers. Okay, maybe that is a little too far fetched, but you get the idea. Dealing with Fatherhood at Fifty is fraught with its own unique set of challenges. Starting with my own questions of whether or not my health and longevity will hold up adequately.
   Shiloh became a one year old a few days ago.She is the essence of beauty, a complete source of joy. But this deal ain't for everybody. It takes a level of commitment and more importantly, energy, that I thought was long dormat, never to be awakened. Ever again. But it is what it is, and what it is is, another opportunity. When I was told it was blessing before she arrived, there was a little bit of scoffing. Since she has been here, I know without a shadow of a doubt that I am the lucky one. Things happen how they are supposed to and this little Angel is one of the greatest gifts I have ever received in my life. So, despite the aches and pains that come from being my age, despite the soiled diaper changes(wish I could outsource that),and possessing the roving acumen of one of those little energizer bunnies, it has been a blast. Hard work, mind you, but a blast nonetheless.
     Funny moment: Why did Shiloh get super agitated when I tried to put on purple sweat pants to go with her pink onesy top. She kept reaching for the still damp pink pants that matched the onesy top. When I pulled her away from them, she looked at me like my fashion sense was totally out of kilter. This at one, what will the future hold? I'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment