Monday, December 31, 2012

CUTENESS UPDATE

Time for another of my tri-monthly updates in this Father at Fifty ordeal. In less than four years it will be Fatherhood at Sixty...great. Shiloh is three years old and her personality is emerging and evolving. The one trait that is most appealing is her concern for Daddy. If I bump my head she will immediately ask, "are you all right Daddy?" She will give my arm an impromptu rub down and willingly shares whatever treats she has. There is a natural shyness around those she first meets, but is all the way live around us at home. One of our favorite past times is dancing  to youtube oldies at the computer. She works up a pretty good lather and will instruct me on the proper technique whenever I try and impress her with some of my old school dance moves. "This is how you do it Daddy, like this." Can't wait until she turns five so we can enroll her in Debbie Allen's Dance Academy.

She is a regular at the family operated child development center. Her best friend is a little girl named Krishay. It's in Inglewood, and she fits in nicely. Her best boy bud is Christopher who is a little chocolate, cute as a button dude. When I pick her up, if I give him a high five, I have to give everyone in the class one too. If I hug my niece Noel, the other kids line up and ask for their hugs too. It's all kind of cute and I am happy to oblige. Never know how much affection they get at home.

The funniest moments with Shiloh at home is listening to her chastise me. It is not an over the top, hash rebuke. But rather one of frustration and consternation. Like when I recently dropped a portion of her chicken nuggets on the carpet. "Dadd-ee", she implores. What else can I do but say, sorry, and kiss them up to God.

I wish that Kiss it up to God gesture was rooted in reality. It would be tantamount to having my own reset button when I have mucked things up slightly past that point of no return. As we approach the New Year, I feel my trust in God being tested daily when it comes to Shiloh, and the rest of those close to me. I pray for His protective covering on them all, like I'm sure parents in recent tragedies prayed for their kids. It is impossible to make sense of it all, as I choose to focus on those things I can control. That is my joy and reverance for this gift of life as represented in Shiloh. And to think, I was reluctant to embrace the idea of being a Father once again at Fifty. It has turned into one of those life changing blessings that only God can provide. I Kiss Her Up To Him, every day...

No comments:

Post a Comment